Hello! Ladies, it’s time to stop popping those painkillers to eliminate menstrual cramps.
As I have really effective home remedies for you to ease period cramps and allow you to stop tossing and turning in pain.
So before we go further we must have at least some idea on what’s a normal menstrual cramp and what’s not.
Menstrual cramps (dysmenorrhea) are caused due to contractions in the uterus (muscular organ) .primary dysmenorrhea is common menstrual cramps and lasts for 1-2 days, felt in the lower abdomen, thighs and back along with nausea and vomiting. Primary dysmenorrhea is not associated with any gynaecological pathology. Where else the secondary dysmenorrhea is a result of underlying problems such as endometriosis, adenomyosis, uterine fibroids or infections. This pain lasts longer than usual menstrual cramps (even throughout the cycle) and usually not associated with nausea and vomiting. This is more common after 25to 30 years of age. Also, this can be associated with very less, irregular or very heavy menstrual flow. Whatever the cause, can be treated so it is good to go and get checked. Now moving onto some really good homemade hacks to get relief from this period pain.
1) Heat: This works in a very simple way, applying heat over lower abdominal area helps to relax the contractions of the uterus.
How to do it: you can simply use a heating pad and fill it with hot water and place this over your lower abdomen and back. You can also use a glass bottle instead of the heating pad. One can even use a sock and fill it with rice, knot it to close and heat it in the microwave for a minute .now place this over your back or lower abdomen to relieve the pain.
2) Sesame oil: well sesame oil is the miracle oil of Ayurveda and it has been used since ages for abhyanga (massage). So using this oil to massage your body, specifically lower abdomen, back and thighs help to lower the pain.
Directions: take sufficient amount of sesame oil and slightly warm it and then massage very gently over lower abdomen and areas where the pain is appreciated.
3) Cumin: cumin is very well known for its anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties and can reduce the menstrual pain effortlessly.
Directions: Take two teaspoons of cumin seeds and boil it in one cup of water. This warm cumin water really helps to ease your pain.
4) Ginger: Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate menstrual pain. It also reduces the associated symptoms like nausea and vomiting.
Directions: take 1 tablespoon grated ginger, 1½ cup water and add jaggery as a sweetener. Boil for 10 minutes .strain, stir and enjoy. This ginger tea will relax your mind and most importantly reduce the menstrual cramps efficiently.
5) Jaggery: yes! jaggery has loads of nutrients in it which assists in reducing menstrual cramps .also eating a small piece of jaggery helps to alleviate PMS symptoms.
Directions: You can simply use jaggery as a healthier alternative sweetener. Add it in your ginger or cumin tea to get the best results.
6) Cinnamon: Cinnamon has antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties and also it is a good source of manganese. These properties together help to relieve the menstrual pain.
Directions: take a cinnamon stick and boil it in a cup of water for 10minutes.add some sweetener, stir and strain.
7) Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is having loads of healing and curative properties .hence it is extensively used in beauty and health industry. It is very effective in case of menstrual cramps and menstrual irregularities.
Directions: simply mix 10-20ml of aloe Vera juice in a glass of water and have it to get rid of period pain.
8) Carom seeds: carom seeds also known as Ajwainis very effective against menstrual cramps.
Directions: take 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons of carom seeds and jaggery as per taste.
Now boil water and add carom seeds followed by jaggery. Strain, stir and your carom seed tea is ready. (preparation time: 10 minutes approximately).
9) Fennel seeds: fennel seeds have anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve the cramps during your periods.
Directions: simply add 1teaspon of fennel seeds into a cup of water and boil it for around 5-10 minutes. Strain it and add any sweetener if you want.
10) Yoga: yoga acts on both body and mind .it effortlessly alleviates the pain and also calms the mind, thereby building the resistance against the pain.
Directions: bhujangasana (cobra pose)
- Ushtrasana (camel pose)
- Janu shirshasana (one-legged forward bending)
- Shavasana (corpse pose)
- Shashankasan (rabbit pose)
- Balasana (child’s pose)
- Pranayama: Nadi shodhan (psychic network purification)
So these were some easy home remedies to mitigate your menstrual pain.
Also here are a few things you can avoid during your periods:
Avoid having aerated drinks, coffee or any caffeinated beverages.Stop munching on junk food or very spicy and salty food. And also excessive exercise.
Thank you! Have a happy and painkillers free period.
This article was from Dr. Grishma Dessai
You can follow her on Instagram @anahat_unstrucksound